Skip to main content
Welcome to the National Safety Council site for Online Defensive Driving
Defensive Driving Course
- This course meets the requirements of the Ohio Department of Aging and the Ohio Department of Transportation. The Ohio Department of Aging and the Ohio Department of Transportation do not subsidize the cost of this online course.
- Free printable and watermarked certificate*
Driving Course $30.00
No Hidden Fees Purchase Course Preview Course
Defensive Driving Course Outline:
It’s All About Choices
- Explain what it means to be a defensive driver.
- Define reasonable action and preventable collision.
- Determine your driving profile.
- List the three basic steps in the Defensive Driving Course Collision Prevention Formula
- Explain the ‘What if?’ strategy.
Ready For The Road
- List the factors that you can control before you start to drive, including your own physical and emotional/mental conditions, as well as vehicle maintenance.
- Describe the varying physical, emotional and mental conditions of other drivers on the road.
- Explain how to be alert and defensive when sharing the road with these drivers.
- Explain how to drive defensively in conditions beyond your control—such as light, weather, road conditions and traffic mix.
Don’t Add Insult To Injury
- Describe the characteristics of impaired, distracted, fatigued and aggressive drivers.
- Identify actions you can take when you experience or encounter these characteristics on the road.
- Employ techniques to manage your emotions and behavior while driving.
Success On The Road
- List the six most unsafe driving behaviors.
- Describe the hazards involved with each of the unsafe driving behaviors.
- List alternatives to speeding.
- Explain how to safely approach and proceed through intersections.
- Explain how to make safe and legal turns.
- Explain the steps needed to complete a safe pass.
- Determine a safe following distance.
- Apply the Defensive Driving Course Collision Prevention Formula.
- Explain the ‘What If?’ strategy.
- Recognize the hazards in collision scenarios.
- Identify standard road signs colors and shapes.
- Identify reasonable steps that might have prevented real-life collisions.
Driving For Life
- List the ten habits of defensive driving.
- Identify personal behaviors and decisions you will make in future driving situations to avoid collisions and violations.
Be a safer driver with the all new
National Safety Council Defensive Driving Course The National Safety Council and SafetyServe.com have developed a comprehensive online driving course that is approved in many states for ticket dismissal, point reduction and insurance premium savings.
The course offers state-of-the-art animations, has an adaptive curriculum and provides the most engaging interactive experience. The bookmark feature allows students to log in and out as many times as necessary to complete the course.
The National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving Course Online Version is based on the same proven content used in the NSC’s instructor-led Defensive Driving Course, which has trained more than 68 million drivers since 1964. If you are interested in NSC classroom training please click here. The National Safety Council is the most trusted and respected safety education provider in the world.
A printable certificate will be available upon successful completion of your Course, you will be asked to verify your mailing address, once verified, a personalized official watermarked Certificate of Completion from the National Safety Council will be mailed to you the following business day. If you require your official certificate sooner please contact Customer Service at 800-775-1484 for alternate delivery options. Purchase Course Preview Course