Backing and Parking Strategies
One out of four vehicle collisions can be blamed on poor backing techniques
View All NSC Articles
According to the National Safety Council, one out of four vehicle collisions can be blamed on poor backing techniques, and backing collisions cause over 500 deaths and 15,000 injuries per year.
You can help prevent collisions in the company parking lot, on the job, or out and about by practicing and sharing these safe backing tips:
- Plan ahead to avoid backing wherever possible.
- Back in when you arrive, rather than when you are ready to leave.
- Avoid blindside backing. Back from the driver’s side.
- Walk around the back of your vehicle before backing and scan the entire distance.
- Get in and start backing immediately after checking behind your vehicle – any delay increases the likelihood of someone getting behind your vehicle.